Pets on Holiday
It’s the holiday season and families are headed to the beach, safari or the countryside and as a pet owner you may be wondering what to do with your furry friend.
Do you take your pets on Holiday?
There are a few options to consider when booking a holiday. Your pet can travel with you, stay at a pet hotel, be checked into a kennel or cattery, or stay at your house with a sitter.
If you opt to go on holiday without your pet then you will want to ensure your pet is well cared for while you’re away. The best option is to have a friend or family member look after them. If this isn’t possible you could use a reputable pet sitter or book them into a boarding establishment.
Check out these local establishments that come highly recommended:
Shongweni Kennels & Cattery
A promise is made to provide a safe ‘Home from Home’ environment, where the object is always to ensure that the pets entrusted to their care, would be looked after as though they were their own.
Durban Dog Hotel
Whether it’s just for the day or many days, you can trust Durban Dog Hotel to meet all your doggie’s needs. Now 11,5 acres of fenced land with a main house and multiple chalets!
With so many pet-friendly hotels and holiday destinations many families opt to take their pets on holiday with them – in fact, pets can make great travel companions!
Here are some tips for bringing your pets along on vacation:
- Have a vet examine your pet before you leave to ensure they are in full health to travel
- Confirm that your accommodations are pet-friendly
- Pack any necessary pet-care gear, and don’t forget their favourite treats, toys & blanket
- Pack your pet’s vaccination papers
- Ensure you have a sturdy and functional pet carrier/crate
- Pack a 5-litre water container from home; some areas may have water that disagrees with your pet
- Pack enough pet food to sustain your pet throughout the trip
- Ensure your pet’s microchip is updated and they are wearing a collar with an updated identification tag
- Don’t forget to take a leash and harness
- Pack enough “waste bags” to ensure you can clean up after your pet
WHEN NOT TO LEAVE
- It is best not to travel or leave your pet at home when they are not in full health
- It is best not to leave your pet during festive seasons when fireworks are expected
Want more advice or looking for the perfect travel accessories, treats and other necessities? Visit Assagay Feeds and chat with the knowledgeable team or place an order for delivery